Table of Contents
Some fundamental Indonesian phrases are more valuable than others.
Why not concentrate on mastering these words first? We chose to write this post for you specifically for that reason.
The essential Indonesian phrases covered in this post will help you communicate better if you’re just beginning to learn Indonesian or are already fluent.
If you’re soon traveling to a Indonesian-speaking country, these will be especially useful to you.
The following are the basic Indonesian words and sentences that you must know:
- Halo saya…….
Hi! I am [your name].
This is a basic greeting when you meet someone new to introduce yourself.
2. Apa kabar?
How are you?
When you run into friends, family, or anyone you want to start a discussion with, you usually do it this way.
3. Aku baik dan kamu
I’m good, you?
You can use this phrase to tell them that you are fine and ask about them in return.
4. Senang bertemu dengan Anda
Nice to meet you.
This phrase can be used to tell someone how nice you feel about meeting someone.
5. Saya menyesal
If you are looking to apologize, you can say ‘I’m sorry’.
6. Berapa nomor telepon anda?
What is your phone number?
If you want to have someone’s phone number, you can use the above phrase.
7. Asalmu dari mana
Where are you from?
You can use this phrase to know where a person is.
8. Apa pekerjaanmu
What do you do?
You can use this phrase to find out someone’s profession.
9. Saya tidak mengerti
I do not understand.
You can use this phrase if you do not understand something.
12. Apa pekerjaanmu
What do you think?
If you want to know someone’s opinion, you can use this phrase.
14. Bisakah kamu berbicara lebih lambat?
Could you speak a little slower?
If you want someone to speak slowly, you can use this phrase.
15. Bisakah anda mengulanginya?
Could you repeat that?
If you didn’t understand something that someone said, and you want him or her to repeat something. You can use the above phrase.
16. Sampai berjumpa lagi
See you soon
To tell someone you’ll meet or see someone soon, you can use the above phrase.
17. Di mana aku bisa menemukan……
Where can I find …….?
For instance, if you are looking for a place, a hotel, a restaurant, or anything else, you can use this phrase.
For example: Where can I find a medical store/ tea shop/ general store?
18. Siapa namamu?
What’s your name?
You can use this phrase to know someone’s name.
19. Bisakah kamu membantuku?
If you need/ want to help someone, you can use this phrase.
20. Berapa harga barang ini?
How much does this/that cost?
To know the cost of something, use this phrase.
21. Saya tidak tahu bahasa Indonesia
I don’t know Indonesian.
If you want to tell someone you are not good at Indonesian, use this phrase. This will be helpful if you have just started learning Indonesian and are still not comfortable communicating fluently.
22. Saya lapar
I am hungry.
If you are hungry and you want to tell someone, use this phrase.
23. Saya haus
Use this phrase to tell someone you are thirsty.
24. Saya tersesat
25. Jam berapa?
What time is it?
- Yes – Ya
- How much/many – Berapa
- Thank you – Terima Kasih
- Excuse me – Persmisi
- I want… – Saya Mau…
- Good Morning! – Selamat Pagi!
- Good Afternoon! – Selamat Siang!
- Good Evening! – Selamat Sore!
- Good Night! – Selamat Malam!
- Long time no see – Lama Tidak bertemu!
- No – Tidak
- Do you speak English? – Anda bisa bicara bahasa Inggris?
- Do you speak Indonesian? – Anda bisa bicara bahasa Indonesia?
- Yes, a little (in response) – Ya, sedikit
- How do you say … in Indonesian? – Bagaimana cara mengatakan … dalam bahasa Indonesia?
- Sorry – Maaf
- I’m very sorry, I won’t do it again – Maaf sakali, saya tidak akan ulangi lagi
- My wallet got stolen – Dompet Saya Di Curi
- Help! – Tolong!
- Pleased to meet you – Senang bertemu dengan anda
- Fire! – Kebakaran!
- Call the police– Panggil Polisi
- Where’s the toilet? – Dimanakah toilet?
The first few times won’t be simple, so practice is the only and best option.
And always remember to prioritize the most important terms first rather than attempting to memorize all the phrases we shared with you today.